A staging site (also known as a test site or development site) is a duplicate of your live site. It allows you to make changes privately without disrupting your live site. This is a very useful tool to learn if you are:
- testing plugins for compatibility,
- testing if your WordPress Theme is compatible with new WordPress updates,
- implementing major features and content on top of your current site,
- fixing glitches, bugs, or security vulnerabilities, and
- building a new site, among many other reasons.